Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Recent Interview: 5000 Years of Money Experience

In my ongoing interviews (100 people over 50 years of age), I spoke to a lady in L.A. and a man in Atlanta.

L.A. Lady: "Understand Your Investments"

She looked to be about 70 years (I never ask women their age), and she was distraught about her retirement. She normally goes to Mammoth Mountain every year to enjoy the wilderness, but she couldn't go this year. Due to the fall in the stock market, things were too tight.

I asked what she would advise the younger generation about the money and she responded, "Don't fall in love with your investments. I should have sold my stocks earlier this year, but my financial adviser kept telling me to 'stay on course.' As a result, I lost 2/3 of the value of my stock funds. When my son studied my situation, he told me I should sell my stocks to avoid losing more. After all, I could live several years on that money. So I sold."

She was so distraught at her huge loss that she didn't want to think about it. So I refrained from asking her any more questions. But here are my thoughts:

#1 - Since she was so close to retirement, why did she have such a large proportion of her retirement in stocks, seeing that she thought she would need the money soon? My mother's investments (she's well over 70) weren't really affected by the current crash, since she's not invested heavily in stocks.

#2 - She did what "the herd" always seems to do: sell low. When the stock market's this low, Warren Buffett's on a buying frenzy. In general, I don't want to be selling when Buffett's buying.

#3 - People simply must understand their investments. I feel really badly for her. People need to understand that stock funds can go down 2/3 and not bounce back for some time. If you don't want that kind of volatility, don't be in stocks.

Atlanta Man: Just Walk In and Ask People for Jobs

He's 72 years old and driving the shuttle from the Atlanta Airport. His advice to the younger generations:

#1 - Working is better than not working, even if it's at a low-paying job. You can't get ahead while you're not working. Sometimes he worked more than one job, just to see which one turned out better before dumping the worse job.

#2 - If you need a job, just walk up to people and ask them for a job, whether they say they're hiring or not. Employers seem to respect that kind of initiative. If they don't have a job, ask if they know anyone else who's hiring. (This advice jives with studies of those looking for jobs. Advertised job openings are flooded with applicants, making your odds on getting the job slim. Instead, decide what kind of job you want and approach those companies for a job, whether they are hiring or not. Maybe they just lost someone and you're the answer to their prayers. The last thing many companies want to do is to take time off from profitable work to start interviewing scores of people.)

No comments: